Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sample Spree 2012

This year was my first for the International Quilt Market in Houston.  Luckily I live relatively close and only needed to travel a few hours east.  I was also lucky enough to have free lodging in a beautiful house just a short drive away from the convention center.  Getting to the convention center literately couldn't have been easier.  The first day was schoolhouse and I never expected how quickly the classes would move.  Sometimes it felt like you just found a seat and then had to get up to go to another room.  Almost all the classes had raffles, but I didn't win anything :( and there were some really good giveaways.  But the absolute highlight of the day (or should I say night) was sample spree!!

People started standing sitting in line really early.  I got up there at around 6pm and the doors didn't open until 8pm.  I thought I wasn't that close to the front until I
saw(more like heard I wasn't about to get out of line) how far back the line went.  Turns out I was in good shape.  I would have taken a picture of the crazy line but I had abandoned my camera to make more room in my bag for fabric.  I had been hearing all day about how crazy it would get once the doors opened and that generally nice ladies that quilt would turn into ruthless fabric hunting beasts.  So my expectations were not high that I would get much.

So here is what I scored...



Riley Blake Flutter & Cotton Solids


Aurifil and Mettler Thread & Type FQs from Windham



Kona Solids & Architextures Charm Pack ( I could kick myself for only getting one of the charms)



 Posy by Aneela Hoey for Moda


 Echino Fall 2012 & Heather Ross Nursery Versery (I can't believe I scored these!!!)



Art Gallery Fabrics: Luxe In Bloom, Coquette, Paradise


Art Gallery Floral Elements & Oval Elements


I think It was a success!



For my first time out I think I did pretty good.  Actually way better than I thought I would.  It also was not as bad as all the stories I heard.  Was it hard to get up close to the tables?  Some what.  Were people rude and pushing? Not really, and most people were very polite.  My shoulders are still aching two days later from all the heavy bags. But then I look at my fabric and the aches and pains go away.  Some of this fabric I would never purchase at full price, like Echino and Heather Ross.  I'm so glad I have them to add to my stash!

While most of this will be stashed...Some of the bundles are up for grabs in my Etsy Shop!  Check it out before they are gone!!!

More Quilt Market highlights in the coming days!

~Alician

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. They are so important to me and it's nice to know there is someone out there who is interested in similar things. I will do my best to respond to each one. Have a great day!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips