Saturday, June 2, 2012

Half Square Triangles

I've had a few inquiries into to how I made my Salt Air Quilt.  So I put together a little pictorial of a shortcut into making HSTs.  For this quilt I used 5" squares but this technique can be used for any sized squares sure as layered cakes or from squares you cut from scraps.

First,  take the print square and a neutral square and place them right sides together.



Next, sew a quarter inch seam around the entire square.



Then, cut the square on the diagonal from corner to corner in both directions.



{I drew lines just for a visual; it's not necessary and just adds an extra step.


Just use a ruler as a guide when cutting}





Press each new smaller square open and there you go, 4 half square triangles!


{Square up each block if necessary.  If you sew a perfect 1/4" seam there shouldn't be much to square}


Half square triangles are easy to do and the variations in design are endless!  I hope this pictorial helps and please feel free to ask questions or leave other tips you find handy.


~alician

2 comments:

Thank you for your comment. They are so important to me and it's nice to know there is someone out there who is interested in similar things. I will do my best to respond to each one. Have a great day!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips